Merged proto package

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 11:44:24 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 08:34 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
> Do any of the proto packages install arch-specific headers? Certainly
> there are arch-dependent definitions in the headers, but they go in
> the same file with #ifdefs, right?
>
> If you look at build.sh. none of the libraries have platform checks, except
> for Apple and Windows. I was wondering about those two, so I tried to dig
> deeper in the notion of arch-specific. My understanding is that for a given
> OS, the data must apply to any architecture (I believe it is "hardware"
> architecture). So 32 vs 64 bits and so on. I could not find any formal
> definition, however.

For instance, glib installs $libdir/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h
mostly to define type sizes to a particular architecture. On the other
hand, $includedir/X11/Xmd.h has architecture dependent sizes, but
they're guarded in a pile of #ifdefs so that the same header can be
used on any architecture. In the latter case, an arch-independent
$datadir/pkgconfig file is appropriate.

--
Dan