Merged proto package

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue Apr 13 06:59:47 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 06:14:44AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:
> >
> > This will force everyone to update _all_ protos at once, which, in a
> > normal world, forces updating of _all_ the packages depending on each
> > of the formerly separate and (mostly) atomic proto headers.
>
> If we keep the individual .pc files, this is not true. If there's a
> new xproto package tomorrow because new events are added to dri2proto,
> the version of xproto.pc will still be the same and most libraries
> will not need to be updated.

What? Are you serious? You realize know that we are the 13th of april
already, and no longer the first, right?

There is no clearer indication as to this really being separate packages
than are meant to stay that way.

> If we may strong release notes detailing which parts of the proto
> package were changed and maintain the effort for reasonable versions
> in the individual .pc files, then I think we can help people avoid a
> snowball effect.

This is horribly artificial, and i am sure that this will get thrown
into the water silently in future.

How about not merging the protos instead?

Luc Verhaegen.