Merged proto package

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 06:14:44 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 09:58:12PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
>>
>> Looks like comments on the xproto package have tapered off; I'll give
>> everyone another chance, but then I'll go ahead and create a new
>> xorg-level 'xproto' repository with the current bits.
>
> You claim that you're doing this because you believe that the fact that
> you need to update some proto packages each time you try to build a new
> server. You also claim that you think that this is a major hurdle for
> most people to update their xserver to upstream more regularly.
>
> The solution that you propose is to lump all the different proto
> packages together, while most of them utterly stable (apart from
> massive amounts of janitorial work recently).
>
> This will force everyone to update _all_ protos at once, which, in a
> normal world, forces updating of _all_ the packages depending on each
> of the formerly separate and (mostly) atomic proto headers.

If we keep the individual .pc files, this is not true. If there's a
new xproto package tomorrow because new events are added to dri2proto,
the version of xproto.pc will still be the same and most libraries
will not need to be updated.

If we may strong release notes detailing which parts of the proto
package were changed and maintain the effort for reasonable versions
in the individual .pc files, then I think we can help people avoid a
snowball effect.

--
Dan