1.7 and 7.5 status: we're frozen

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Aug 31 18:43:25 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 10:19:57AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> After a chat with Peter, we decided to postpone XKB2 (yet again) to 1.8,
> to give it more time to mature, as opposed to just dropping it in the
> tree, and also to allow us to make any updates to Xi that may be
> required after actually deploying it with 1.7.
>
> This means that we're not blocking on anything major for 1.7 bar
> stabilisation work and bug fixes, which means ...
>
> XSERVER IS FROZEN.  PLEASE DON'T COMMIT ANYTHING MAJOR, OR ANY API
> BREAKS, WITHOUT CHECKING WITH ME AND/OR PETER FIRST.
>
> 1.6.99.900 will be rolled some time over the weekend, with .901 to
> follow fairly shortly after that.  We'll branch the server when it makes
> sense -- probably pretty close to .901 or .902.
>
> Xi proto/libs need a final release at some stage, but most of the other
> modules are looking fairly good at the moment, and indeed already have
> releases.
>
> I'm hoping this means a final 1.7 and 7.5 release shortly before, or
> during, XDC.
>
> If you maintain a weird platform, please get building the stack and let
> us know of any problems so we can release a 7.5 that actually works
> everywhere.

I've updated the build instructions on
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide

Quickstart for those that do not use jhbuild:

export PREFIX=/opt/xorg
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig
export PATH=$PREFIX/bin:$PATH
export ACLOCAL="aclocal -I $PREFIX/share/aclocal"
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/util/modular/ util/modular
echo "util/macros" > built.modules

./util/modular/build.sh --clone -p -f built.modules -r `tail -n 1 built.modules` $PREFIX

Re-run the last command until a build succeeds.

Cheers,
  Peter