Respository vandalism by root at ...fd.o

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue Nov 23 22:26:17 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 03:40:49PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Frans de Boer wrote:
> > Just like to inquire whether the observed behavior was a real security
> > breach - someone introducing (maybe over time) a backdoor or the like -
> > or just sloppy behavior. In other words, can we still trust the xorg
> > repositories or are they compromised in some way?
> >
> > People and companies depend on xorg functionality without backdoors or
> > the like. At the first sign of xorg repositories being compromised, I
> > have to pull the plug on systems relying on xorg functionality. Please
> > make sure what really happened and then inform the community. this
> > thread only give rise to fears without - so it seems - verified facts.
>
> Yes, the original poster's announcement to the list in general and directly
> to phoronix without notifying the developers or admins first seems to have
> been designed to do exactly that - raise fears without facts.

Alan,

You know that i've been with X.org for long enough to know what works
and what gets muffled. The fact that you and others are continuously
downplaying this proves that i took the right course of action.

About mailing the board, well, the board is not exactly the fastest of
organs, even though i feel that it has become better since the last
elections and the crap throwing that happened before and after them.

Luc Verhaegen.