Xorg video driver for SGX535

Thomas Hellstrom thomas at shipmail.org
Thu Nov 11 04:54:15 PST 2010

On 11/11/2010 12:56 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:36:59 +0530
> vijay singh<testmrs.evo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> is their any link or input which can give me Xorg video module driver
>> for PowerVR chipset (SGX535).
>>
> I believe vendors can purchase a proprietary (ie non-free in both senses)
> license and access from the device vendor. Otherwise you are pretty much
> out of luck.
>
> There is enough info the public domain to probably write an acceptable 2D
> driver, maybe even to do a compositing 2D driver by staring hard at the
> kernel bits that have been released (because they had to GPL them), but
> not enough for 3D.
>
> Alan

One should remember though, that many SGX chips out there don't have a
2D engine, with the one in Poulsbo being a noteable exception. Thus 2D
accel is emulated using the 3D engine. Setting up 3D state is quite
costly on the SGX, and as a result, the X fbdev driver with
write-combining and shadowfb get close to or even beat the SGX on
"normal" 2D operations, including blits and fills.

/Thomas