Communicating with the x-server

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Mar 5 11:10:51 PST 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-04 at 12:45 +0100, Thomas Sondergaard wrote:

> My own thought was simply to have the x-server watch a property, say
> OPEN_URI, on the root window. Would that be the way to go?

Well, that or add another request to the VNC extension.  I'm not sure if
there's a private namespace there (to avoid your request colliding with
someone else's VNC feature addition).  But if there is then that's
probably what I'd do.

> The
> realvnc-based code base I'm working with doesn't have any code that
> watches properties like this. Is there a way to snoop on PropertyNotify
> events?

Inside the server?  Not really, no.  The best you could do would be to
wrap the slot for ProcChangeProperty in the dispatch vector to notice
success and call out to your vnc code if the property matches.  Which is
ugly, but avoids needing to modify the core server.

If you're okay with modifying the server it'd be cleaner to add a
CallCallbacks() just before the return Success at the end of
dixChangeWindowProperty.

- ajax