A question about XPresent extension from the user point of view

Ярослав Машко yaroslaw.mashko at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 07:40:09 UTC 2024

Hello,

I get a feeling that XPresent extension is supposed to be used in window
managers specifically. I'm just a simple user. Can I use the extension, for
better control of interactive, or semi-interactive graphics, from an
application?

To elaborate. I see a good use for frame notification for an user-level
application. Now my window manager is xfwm4. It can use the extension and
also seem to redirect all application-level windows.
What is the strategy to use the extension in the presence of a window
manager? I mean, in general, the WM can redirect, composite, or do
something else, or do some subset of the list.

So, in general, what should I know to use the extension at user-level? Is
it intended for users at all? In most simple way, would call to
XPresentPixmap from a user-level application, pass it to the X11/WM? And
most importantly, will it return a correspondent to the call notification
back to my application?

BR

--
Ярослав Машко