deleting bad probed modeline

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at glebi.us
Tue Oct 1 16:24:22 UTC 2024

On Tue, Oct 01, 2024 at 08:21:21AM -0400, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
V> > While I can solve the particular problem for myself (hack the sources), my point
V> > is that X.Org needs a generic tool to filter out modes reported by hardware, cause
V> > some of them can be completely faulty (my case) or just undesired by a user.
V>
V> Maybe I am missing something, but you could specify modelines in xorg.conf
V> and then only those modelines are reported. At least that how thing used to
V> work last time I tried it.

This is how it worked long time ago :) Now you normally do not specify any
modelines in the xorg.conf, instead the hardware reports more than 30 supported
modes and you can switch beetween them all.  Of course, another workaround for
me would be to include all these 30+ modes into my xorg.conf and then delete
the problematic one.  Or I can just leave a handful of modes that I actually
use, just like in the old times.

But the modern x.org aims for 100% autoconfiguration and modes reported by
hardware is definitely a big win over the old times. btw, thanks X.org team for
that! With the modern approach the right configuration knob would be a
possibility to filter out certain modes reported by hardware, rather then
falling back to old times when you needed to list them all.

--
Gleb Smirnoff