scroll lock disabled by default

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 26 06:15:20 UTC 2024

On Fri, 26 Jul 2024, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 25.07.2024 um 16:37:58 Uhr schrieb Steven J Abner:
>
>>   If I had to guess, Windows doesn't have Scroll Lock on by default.
>
> I think my question was asked bad.
>
> In Windows, Scroll Lock is disabled by default, but can be enabled by
> pressing they scroll lock key.
>
> On my Linux systems, this key is disabled until I activate it with
> xmodmap.
> After than scroll lock can be used like in windows.
>
> My question is why is the key itself disabled by default on most X11
> systems.

Curious !

I suspect what happened is that Scroll Lock function used to be defined in
XF86Config, and when we switched to not require XF86Config the settings
were lost to a minimal default.

See:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/stc/FAQs/Video/XF86Config_5x.htm

A common use for Scroll Lock was for international keyboard layouts:

https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Intkeyb/x89.html

I think now one can simply remap the key in the configuration utility.

best

Vladimir Dergachev