scroll lock disabled by default

Steven J Abner pheonix.sja at att.net
Thu Jul 25 20:37:58 UTC 2024

  Just so you know someone read you, I'll take a stab at the question.
Mind you I haven't used Windows since Windows 3.
  If I had to guess, Windows doesn't have Scroll Lock on by default. I
believe arrow keys still work. After the purchase of Excel, they
continued the old IBM of utilizing the function key for it. I'd guess
there might even be a preference setting in all 'Office' suites to not
enable it 'on' by default.
  That said, 'function' keys aren't activated by default, nor should
extra function keys "PRTSCR, SCRLCK, PAUSE". Additionally, as OSs
evolved, mice ended up with scroll wheels making the old IBM key near
useless, or unneeded.
  Windows heavily depends on it's office suites, so unless its broke,
don't get rid of tradition. Other programs like Calc, LibreOffice, etc
need to emulate what people are accustom to. Honestly, I'd be pissed if
I had to find the scroll lock just to use arrow keys.
  Hope this helps, and check with the programs for the preference
setting.
Steve