Does xorg/X11 support Rembrandt [Radeon 680M] from AMD/ATI?

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Fri Jul 5 20:17:22 UTC 2024

According to Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> on Fri, 07/05/24 at 14:52:

> oh glad to hear it. those steps should be covered here in the Handbook:
> https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/x11/#x-graphic-card-drivers

Yes, that is section 5.3.0 (there is no zero, but it lays before 5.3.1)
and it mentions a package drm-kmod and a module amdgpu, but it does NOT
specify how to obtain these.

Later in section 5.3.2 AMD it lists "pkg install drm-kmod" but not WHICH
port that is for or from.  Also there it lists "sysrc kld_list+=amdgpu"
which I did, but as I said it wasn't enough until I built these two ports
using portmaster:

  # portmaster graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod

  # portmaster x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu (this may have been my bad)

> If they aren't clear or confusing though I think feedback would be
> appreciated so we can make the documentation easier for other users too!

Those two ports should be included/mentioned somewhere in or near the
section 5.3.0 and/or 5.3.2 (for AMD graphics).  Until I added those two
ports (building them from source as is my practice) the instruction in
the handbook are not clear enough or sufficient enough (or weren't for
me anyway) to have a successful AMD graphics installation on the T16
(which as I understand isn't all that new, but new enough - 2 years).

I am not able to provide clear(er) text to help make the handbook a
better source of information, but surely there is someone who can do
that out there in FreeBSD land.

Thanks for the discussion.  Have a great day!

--
William Bulley
E-MAIL: web at umich.edu
<web at umich.edu>