Does xorg/X11 support Rembrandt [Radeon 680M] from AMD/ATI?

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Fri Jul 5 18:47:19 UTC 2024

According to Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> on Fri, 07/05/24 at 13:53:

> your best first step might be to see when this driver became available in
> the linux kernel.  freebsd has several drivers that track various linux kernel
> versions.  i think the current linux kernel versions would  are 5.10, 5.15, and
> 6.1.
>
> if it's available in one of those versions then chances are pretty good you
> can get it running on freebsd.

Thanks for the reply, Pete.  After I reached out to the xorg list, and
after doing some (inconclusive) research on this topic -- and my
ignorance of AMD, I found out my problem: the FreeBSD handbook says
to add kld_list="amdgpu" to the /etc/rc.conf file, but I missed two
additional steps needed (may be in a different section of the handbook)
which were to add two ports:

   graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod
   x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu

Once I built and installed those two ports, Xorg/x11 graphics worked
flawlessly on the Thinkpad T16.  Thanks again for your information.

Have a great day!

--
William Bulley
E-MAIL: web at umich.edu