setxkbmap requiring -print | xkbcomp $DISPLAY to apply to current DISPLAY

Nachum Kanovsky nachumk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 17:30:56 UTC 2022

Hi All,

setxkbmap 1.3.1
xfce4-panel 4.12.1 (Xfce 4.12)
CentOS Linux release 7.7 (Core)

I’m using an Remote Desktop tool for accessing my CentOS server. There’s a quirk in the software with this one Remote Desktop tool (another tool I use doesn’t have this issue). On this specific Remote Desktop tool, setxkbmap cannot properly update the keymap unless I pipe it into xkbcomp. The Remote Desktop vendor believes they are doing everything correctly, but evidence suggests they are missing something.

Using one Remote Desktop tool I can perform this command and it updates the keymap:
setxkbmap -rules evdev -model pc105 -layout us -variant altgr-intl

Using another Remote Desktop tool, I am required to do this:
setxkbmap -rules evdev -model pc105 -layout us -variant altgr-intl -print | xkbcomp - $DISPLAY

I am happy to debug this (although I don’t have root access to the server), and the RDP vendor would gladly fix it, if only they knew what might be wrong.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Noah Kanovsky