Error (EE) no screens found(EE)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed May 18 09:01:48 UTC 2022

Joachim Torbicki composed on 2022-05-18 08:25 (UTC):

> after update with my opensuse tumbleweed i have an error when starting kde.It fails with a X11 error "no screens found(EE) ". - > see Xorg.1.log

> Informationen zu Schema x11:
> ----------------------------
> Repository                : Haupt-Repository (OSS)
> Name                      : x11
> Version                   : 20200505-32.2
> Arch                      : x86_64
> Anbieter                  : openSUSE

> When trying Xorg -configure i get the error on the screenshot.

Xorg -configure is a waste of time that rarely works for graphics issues.

openSUSE, like most current distros, should work just fine automatically, with no
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and no configuration files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
affecting graphics.

Make sure xf86-video-amdgpu, kernel-firmware-amdgpu and libdrm_amdgpu1 are all
installed, and try again with no xorg.conf file. If it doesn't work, watch for the
next TW release, then upgrade right away. I saw mention of an X bug with AMD, but
don't know any details except that the bug was found right at release and the fix
is in the pipe to whichever release follows 20220516. I may have the same problem,
and have been trying to find the package at fault. I think it may be
kernel-firmware-amdgpu. If this is it, you should be able to simply use a previous
kernel whose initrd was not rebuilt with the current kernel-firmware-amdgpu version.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata