Something is keeping my X awake

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 25 08:50:38 UTC 2022

On Sat, 23 Jul 2022, martin f krafft wrote:

> Regarding the following, written by "Vladimir Dergachev" on 2022-07-21 at 17:28 Uhr -0400:
> As Carsten suggested, it seems that it's Firefox. I've quit the browser, and now xset q reports "Monitor is Off" (logged in over SSH), which it hasn't done in a long time.
>
> This of course now begs the question: what is the browser doing to keep X awake by jiggling XScreensaver regularly, and worse yet: preventing DPMS shutoff. I am not watching videos, but I do havem
> plenty open tabs. Is any one of them able to keep my screen busy like this?

A youtube tab will do it. Make sure no videos are playing or paused.

> And how can I disable that? I generally keep the browser running, and don't want to have to shut it down every time I want to save energy and screen lifetime during idle periods.

Same here. I have a few hundred browser windows with who knows how many
tabs and it works. So it is not Firefox per se.

Maybe you have some weird site loaded that does this to get ads displayed ?
Try closing tabs until the behaviour disappears.

best

Vladimir Dergachev