Something is keeping my X awake

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Sat Jul 23 18:10:11 UTC 2022

Regarding the following, written by "Vladimir Dergachev" on 2022-07-21 at 17:28 Uhr -0400:
>If any of such programs were terminated before they could restore
>the regular behaviour, the screen won't lock.

Nah, the problem is different. If I run `xscreensaver-command
-lock`, then the screen locks, but every few minutes, the password
screen will pop up, and time out, as if someone moves the mouse
every few minutes.

As Carsten suggested, it seems that it's Firefox. I've quit the
browser, and now `xset q` reports "Monitor is Off" (logged in over
SSH), which it hasn't done in a long time.

This of course now begs the question: what is the browser doing to
keep X awake by jiggling XScreensaver regularly, and worse yet:
preventing DPMS shutoff. I am not watching videos, but I do havem
plenty open tabs. Is any one of them able to keep my screen busy
like this?

And how can I disable that? I generally keep the browser running,
and don't want to have to shut it down every time I want to save
energy and screen lifetime during idle periods.

A [web search](https://search.brave.com/search?q=firefox+dpms) seems
to only touch the opposite problem, i.e. people seeking to disable
DPMS from Firefox.

Thanks!

--
@martinkrafft | https://matrix.to/#/#madduck:madduck.net

"da haben wir es also: eine kirchliche ordnung mit priesterschaft,
  theologie, kultus, sakrament;
  kurz, alles das, was jesus von nazareth bekämpft hatte..."
                                                  - friedrich nietzsche

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net