X (xinerama) doesn't restore window locations

Carsten Haitzler raster at rasterman.com
Tue Aug 23 07:54:07 UTC 2022

On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 02:18:53 -0000 (UTC) David Chmelik <dchmelik at gmail.com>
said:

> I usually always have my PC on, but of course go away and come back.
> Sometimes the screens (three) go inactive and sometimes I turn them off.
> Every time I make them active again, no X program has its location
> restored but in fact every one is moved somewhere else: often/usually to
> another screen.  It's a problem with every X window manager (WM) & desktop
> environment (DE) I ever used including KDE 3 (and TDE), 4, 5, and XFCE
> almost as long.  Is this a xinerama problem and can it be fixed?

if you are using xinerama then this would not be happening as it's a fixed
setup for the server (or was decades ago when i last used it). everyone moved
on to using xrandr to configure screens. this can be dynamic and it's your wm/de
environment that would handle things like detecting a screen disconnected and
reconfiguring things. you issue is not with xorg but with the wm/de's you
choose.

as someone who writes these... i can tell you i have EXPLICITLY supported your
case in enlightenment. it will auto-restore windows to the screen they were on
if it sees a disconnect then a reconnect if you have not reconfigured (changed
geometry) of those screens in between the disconnect and the reconnect. it
detects re-connects automatically and restores that screen to whatever it was
configured to last time it saw it (based on output name + edid blob).

so i'd say you haven;t tried enough wm's and de's ... as the one i wrote does
what you want. i even just tested it now - did exactly what it was programmed
to do :)

Carsten Haitzler - raster at rasterman.com