key "stuck down" after sendevent

Julian Bradfield jcb+fdt at julianbradfield.org
Mon Apr 11 09:09:57 UTC 2022

Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net>:
>xdotool (from a quick check of the source) either sends key codes for the key
>through the X Test device (if the target window is in focus) or uses
>XSendEvent() to send to some arbitrary other window not in focus [1].
>
>If you end up with XTest for the key down and then for some reason xdotool
>fails to send the key up event, or xdotool sends the up event through
>XSendEvents instead, you end up with a key down on the xtest device.
>That device is like any physical device and it'll keep repeating until
>something releases that key again.

Ah, thank you. I should have thought of that, but was distracted by
seeing the errors from XSendEvent.

I'll patch xdotool not to use XTest, and see how that goes.

By the way, the copy of your message that arrived via xorg failed both
its DKIM signatures (because they both include Sender:).
DKIM and mailing lists is always a pain, but shouldn't the list
software be stripping signatures that it knows it's going to break?
Failed DKIM signatures always seem more suspicious than absent ones :)
(I had recently started using two failed sigs as a spam indicator...)