Motif/Xt: Trigger reconfiguration of a widget

Holger Sebert holger.sebert at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Oct 27 20:27:21 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am working on Motif code, so please excuse if this mailing list is
not the right place for asking my question, but since Motif is based on
libXt, I thought I'll give it a try. --

I would like to add and remove CascadeButtons dynamically to and from
a menubar (a.k.a RowColumn widget).

For each addition of a button I create a completely new menubar
containing the button(s) to be added and set it in the MainWindow via:

     XtVaSetValues(main_window, XmNmenuBar, new_menubar, NULL);

The good news is that the program does not crash :) but the menubar is
not updated either. Only when I resize the application window does the
menubar get updated and displays the new button(s).

So my question is: How can I trigger the reconfiguration of a widget's
geometry without having to resize the main window?

Best,
Holger