Xorg framebuffer and brightness of screen

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 10 17:45:16 UTC 2021

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 10:15:18AM +0300, Riza Dindir wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I woukd like to know if I can adjust the screen brightness when using the
> framebuffer device on xorg?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Riza

Probably, assuming you want to reduce the brightness.  A desktop
environment might provide something (my laptop now runs xfce, one of
the panel plugins provides that), but in the past I've used xrandr.

 xrandr --output <name> --brightness <value>

You'll need to discover the output names on your own machine
 xrandr --verbose | less
and look for the 'connected' item (usually a variant of DP, HDMI or
VGA).

A value of 1.0 is full brightness, which is what you currently have.
Try different settings (maybe start at 0.75) and see if you can find
a value which suits.

ĸen
--
Vetinari smiled. "Can you keep a secret, Mister Lipwig?"
"Oh, yes, sir. I've kept lots."