No screen, no prompt

Chris Fisichella christopher.j.fisichella at gmail.com
Sun May 23 12:43:06 UTC 2021

Hi,

As part of a Debian 10.9.0 install on a 32 bit machine, X was installed. I
am trying to get an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 128 PRO card to work in this machine
so I can show movies to my kids.

It used to boot to at least "Cannot show this video mode" or something like
that. I could press ctrl-alt-F5 or F6.  I never quite figured out which
one. That allows me to get to a root prompt. I can then read the xorg log
file.

I saw on a list to remove the xorg.conf file. I did not see one, but I did
see an xorg.conf.d directory, which I renamed and then rebooted.

Now, it still boots to a black screen. I cannot get to a root prompt to
access the xorg log file.

I am trying to trouble shoot some (EE) statements I am seeing.

Does anyone have any idea what to do to get that root prompt back?

Best Regards,
Chris