problem opening/loading an X11 font.

L. A. Walsh freedesktop at tlinx.org
Sat May 22 03:37:17 UTC 2021

On 2021/05/21 14:18, IL Ka wrote:
> Hi.
> What does ``xfontsel`` show?

it shows that it doesn't allow keyboard input in order to specify a family
(like lucida...).
The GUI list of displays off screen, so can't find family I was looking for.
> Have you tried to provide a font explicitly with ``xterm -fn``?
>
LW> LC_ALL=POSIX xterm -fn 'lucidatypewriter'
>  LC_ALL=C xterm -fn
'-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-0-0-100-100-m-0-iso10646-1'
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-0-0-100-100-m-0-iso10646-1"
to type FontStruct
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Missing charset ISO8859-1 for fallback fontset
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
xterm: cannot load font
"-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-0-0-100-100-m-0-iso10646-1"

> You can also try xft/fontconfig fonts.
---
I'm trying to get a 3rd party app to work. This started with noticing that
a 3rd party app that wasn't putting up an expected window.

> By the way: there is a free X11 server for Windows called "xming", you do
> not need cygwin

---
Ya, I purchased xming from Colin H. several years or more back.
I had probs w/it and tried to get support from Colin.  He saw I had
cygwin on my machine and said he would not support me w/cygwin on my
machine.

Given that I use linux, a similar interface on Win is a large productivity
enhancer, so I gave up on the use of Xming.