[discuss] Dedicated- and integrated graphics cards do not work simultaneously

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 21:11:47 UTC 2021

Felix Miata composed on 2021-07-18 16:25 (UTC-0400):

> Ole Reier Ulland composed on 2021-07-18 15:05 (UTC+0200):

>> (EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed

>> It is very important to disable Kscreen2 as a startup service, because as
>> enabled it deletes the Kscreen configurations, in /home/[user]/.local/share/
>> kscreen, that did not work out right. I this case it always removed the
>> configurations for the dGPU.

>> I believe I have come to the end of the line here. I conclude that it is
>> impossible to get Xorg/Kscreen to function with dual graphic cards.

>> xorg.conf, kscreen configurations, and Xorg.0.log should be available here,

>> https://pastebin.com/E5CbXQET

> This from that log is a key failure:

> 	(WW) intel(0): Unknown chipset

> Apparently it's not just the kernel that needs to be newer than Mageia 8's 5.10.
> If there's a backported X server, it must be needed also, and/or newer firmware,
> for your i7-11700K 8086:4c8a Rocket Lake.

I was in too big a rush to send my last post. Rocket Lake support is obviously
missing from Mageia 8's version of xf86-video-intel (packaged as
x11-driver-video-intel in Mageia). Intel's driver development has been focusing on
the modesetting DIX, while its named driver has been in maintenance mode for 7+
years. So, for the IGP to function as well as possible, either remove
x11-driver-video-intel, or specify 'Driver "modesetting"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
in some 'Section "Device"' file dedicated to the IGP, e.g. 15-intel.conf.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata