Dedicated- and integrated graphics cards do not work simultaneously

Qu Wenruo quwenruo.btrfs at gmx.com
Thu Jul 15 09:23:56 UTC 2021

On 2021/7/15 上午7:59, Ole Reier Ulland wrote:
> I am building a new computer, but I want to use an old graphics card since I
> do not need a new one. I am not a gamer.
>
> I want to use both the dedicated- and the integrated graphics cards at the
> same time for different reasons.
>
> Here are the cards,
>
> # lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation RocketLake-S GT1 [UHD
> Graphics 750] (rev 04)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 660]
> (rev a1)
>
> The Intel card is the integrated one, in Intel i7-11700K
> The nVidia card is the old dedicated card.
>
> I have made all the changes to xorg.conf as far as I can understand the
> documentation. But my Mageia 8 system will not boot.
>
> Please, have a look at the attached files and tell me what may be the reason
> why it will not boot.

[   161.926] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module.
Please see the
[   161.926] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error
messages and
[   161.926] (EE) NVIDIA:     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
[   161.932] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module.
Please see the
[   161.932] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error
messages and
[   161.932] (EE) NVIDIA:     consult the NVIDIA README for details.

You're using Nvidia's  proprietary driver, but don't have kernel module
compiled.

You can either figure out how to configure your distro to setup the
closed source nvidia driver, or go nouveau since NVE0 is mostly working
except the power management and GPGPU part.

Thanks,
Qu