How to make xinit / startx to read my custom xorg.conf.d files?

Me oblias at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 01:55:28 UTC 2021

I am running Arch Linux with the i3 window manager.  Today I switched from
lightdm to xorg-xinit.  I have read the available documentation, and
configured things so that startx will start and run the X server, and i3wm
runs fine after that.  However, I have one very important problem that I
cannot find an answer to.

I have a Nvidia GPU with proprietary drivers installed, and I have created
a file named 10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf in the
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory.  The contents of that conf file are
as follows:

Section "OutputClass"
     Identifier "nvidia"
     MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
     Driver "nvidia"
     Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
     Option "Coolbits" "28"
     ModulePath "/usr/lib/nvidia/xorg"
     ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

An important line in that file is the Option "Coolbits" "28" line, as it
allows me to set a custom fan speed for my GPU, which I need for these
warmer months.

When I use startx that conf file is not being read, it seems.  It is
completely ignored, and I am unable to set a custom fan speed.

Is there a conf file for xinit that I can use, create, or configure that
will access the 10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf file, so that the GPU will
run cooler via a custom fan speed?

When using lightdm, it works like a charm.  But as I say, xinit seems to
not see/read/access that file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

C.M.Millington
--