Keyboard/Touchpad not recognized by X software

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jan 4 04:20:35 UTC 2021

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 06:40:52PM -0700, Ivan wrote:
> They work just find in FreeBSD, but fail to get recognized by X11.  I got
> Xfce4 to run and all, but I have to use the power button to shutdown and
>
> These are the relevant lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
>
> 9102.753	config/udev: Adding input device AT keyboard (/dev/input/event5)
> 9102.753	AT Keyboard: Applying InputClass “Evdev Keyboard”
> 9102.753	AT Keyboard: Applying InputClass “KeyboardDefaults”
> 9102.754	No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
> 9102.754	This device may have been added with another device file.
> 9102.754	config/udev: Adding input device Syn PS/2 Synaptics Touchpad  (/dev/input/event6)
> 9102.754	No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
> 9102.754	This device may have been added with another device file.
>
> How should I proceed from here to get the X server to recognize my keyboard and touchpad?

basically: your xorg.conf snippets are missing a Driver "foo" line, where
"foo" is the driver name. On Linux this would be "libinput" or previously
"evdev" ("synaptics" for touchpads).  FreeBSD supports the evdev kernel
interface these days, so the same config should work there too but I haven't
tested it.

The default snippets shipped by the various xorg drivers assign themselves
to the right devices, so I suspect there's something bsd-specific or some
leftover config that's tripping you up.

Cheers,
   Peter