xfontsel unconventional PRIMARY clipping

Ivan Bogush ivan.bogush at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 15:15:59 UTC 2021

Hello,
While using xfontsel 1.06, I noticed that the 'select' button writes to
the PRIMARY buffer in an unconventional way.
Some programs can't read the PRIMARY after this is done.
Steps to reproduce:
    1) run `autocutsel -s PRIMARY -verbose -debug` (to track PRIMARY)
    1) run `xfontsel` from terminal, choose a fndry, font etc
    2) click select
    3) middle click/shift+insert into a program (st, firefox)
    4) nothing is pasted, autocutsel reports nothing
However, certain programs such as xterm, gvim, and leafpad _are_ able to
read PRIMARY after the selection.

`xclip -o` reports the selection, but only after running` xclip -o |
xclip -i`
do I get something that will work with the programs mentioned above.

Another workaround is `xfontsel -print | xclip -i`, but I think there is
a bug in the select button code.
Other X utilities such as Xedit do not exhibit such behaviour.

Thanks,
Ivan