Putting a pixmap into a window every frame

Andrew Bainbridge andy at deadfrog.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 16:13:26 UTC 2021

Hi

I'm a reformed Windows programmer trying to understand the big-picture of how X11 manages frame buffers. With a typical compositing manager and, say, the xeyes app, how many frame buffers are there? How many are in system memory and how many in GPU memory? Is flipping employed?

Is this kind of thing documented anywhere?

I have a software rendering 2D library and various apps that depend on it (*). I'm porting it from Windows to Linux. The apps do smooth animation by drawing to a window-sized pixmap (bitmap in Windows speak) in system memory, sending it to the compositor every frame and then waiting until the compositor is ready for another.

Is the Present extension the best way to do that on X11 today?

* If curious, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xVune0NEsA for an example app.

Thanks,
Andy