No keysyms send on level 7+

pillule pillule at riseup.net
Wed Sep 9 11:20:36 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 09 2020, Adam Nielsen wrote:

>> I have remapped
>> `CapsLock` to `Backspace`
>> `AltGr` to `ControlR`
>> `ControlR` to `AltR`,
>>
>> Now if i type one of the next sequences, it will be well interpreted :
>> • `ControlR` + `AltR` + `Backspace`
>> • `ControlR` + `AltL` + `Backspace`
>> • `ControlL` + `AltR` + `Backspace`
>>
>> However if I type this one :
>> • `AltL` + `ControlR` + `Backspace`
>>
>> xev will not see any input.
>> This one definitivly make me think it’s the firmware fault.
>
> If I understand correctly, you are saying that ControlR + AltL works,
> but the reverse (AltL + ControlR) does not.  It could be a firmware
> issue however it's also possible it can be a keymap issue.

The position of the keys matters in this issue, to be more clear,
another example :
 if I use `setxkbmap -model pc104 -model us -option', so there is no
options, a clean and regular keymap and Alt_R is *not* an
ISO_Level3_Shift but a regular Mod1 like Alt_L
`xev' will not see any input with the following combinaison :
`Alt_L` + `Alt_R` + `Caps_Lock`
However, it will see the input of
`Control_L` + 'Control_R` + `Caps_Lock`

It is indeed dumb because no one need to press the two Alt together,
but it demonstrate the issue : theses particuliar keys (no matter what
keysym is attributed) doesn't respond when pressed together and it is
finally, not related with remapping.

> If you want to know for sure if it is a keyboard/firmware problem,
> change the mapping to some other keys.  Instead of mapping AltGr to
> ControlR, map say ShiftR to ControlR instead.  If you try a few
> different key mappings and you still have the same problem, it is more
> likely to be your layout at fault rather than the hardware.

Yes, my tests leads me all the time to the combinaisons with the same
keyscodes, no matters what keysyms are attributed. What really confuse
me is it is I do not understand the logic behind it, some keys accept more
than others and always others specific combinaisons.

> The combinations you have - two modifiers + letter - should work on
> pretty much any keyboard.  If you were using a non-modifier key then
> you could run into issues after holding 2-3 keys depending on the
> keyboard design.
>
> You can also look into tools that dump Linux evdev events.  This would
> allow you to see the key press / key release events at the kernel
> level.  A firmware problem would mean that at some point pressing a key
> won't generate an evdev event, but if you are seeing evdev events but
> no Xorg key event, then it means it's definitely an issue with your Xorg
> keymap.

If `xev` a sufficient tool for this task I think I am done and can
conclude that my keybaord is not terrible nor good.

Thank you Adam Nielsen and Dave Howorth fos your insights which where
more valuables that the computer constructor.