Feature request, but must be universallly accepted by ALL blanker authors

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Oct 4 21:08:22 UTC 2020

On Sunday 04 October 2020 15:10:03 Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> On 10/3/20 1:08 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 02 October 2020 16:28:45 Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> >> Fortunately, there's already an existing script which knows about
> >> the most common screensaver implementations and how to suspend
> >> them:
> >>
> >> https://linux.die.net/man/1/xdg-screensaver
> >> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-utils/-/blob/master/scripts/
> >>xdg -screensaver.in
> >>
> >> So LinuxCNC could call xdg-screensaver suspend with the ID of its
> >> control window.
> >
> > On the machines own monitor, isn't that display 0:0?
> >
> :0.0 is the display, not the window.  "xwininfo -tree -root" will list
> : all
>
> the window ids on that display.
>
> > Example command line please?
>
>   xdg-screensaver suspend `xwininfo -name xlogo | awk '/Window id/
> {print $4}'`
>
> But if LinuxCNC is calling it directly, it knows its own window ids
> already and doesn't have to use xwininfo to find them.

Linuxcnc has neveer called anything like that directly. But it is
launched by mostly python scripts that could be edited to add it.
And I finally got enough of the xfce4-goodies installed to get the
ability to control it via the settings menu, and have successfully
turned it all off.

It turns out that the color cycling screen was that old 17" 4x3 Dell lcd
monitors response to the synch drop that shuts most modern monitors off.

The fly in the login soup was that particular login greeters total
non-indication that a passwd was being entered. That keyboard has a
custom fitted swarf cover that makes error free typeing a much sought
after endeavor and I never write code using it, but punching it in one
character at time rather violently seems to work. Since I am normally
alone, that advertising of the passwd is a non-worry. I've taken to
locking up at night, along with some signage promising response to
prowlers in lead, should take care of the security if they can read...

Thanks Alan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis