Feature request, but must be universallly accepted by ALL blanker authors

Carsten Haitzler raster at rasterman.com
Sun Oct 4 11:17:12 UTC 2020

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 04:03:26 -0400 Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> said:

> On Saturday 03 October 2020 00:39:27 Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2 Oct 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings x-people;
> > >
> > > The LinuxCNC people have just brought it up from Debian wheezy to
> > > buster for a base install.
> > >
> > > But the security paranoia is going to get someone maimed or killed.
> > >
> > > Someone has decreed that the screen blanker must be subject to a new
> > > login before anything can be done about a runaway machine with
> > > enough horsepower at its disposal to kill.
> >
> > Just to chime in, this is not an X problem per se, but rather the
> > desktop environment.
> >
> Agreed.
>
> > X does not have a utility to ask for your password - just a way to
> > blank the screen and turn off the monitor.
> >
> > If you were to prevent X from blanking the screen, then what would
> > likely happen is that it will not go blank, but instead you will see
> > either a screensaver or a password prompt from whatever screen locker
> > your desktop environment is using.
>
> Which for xfce4 is light-locker. But removing it with apt destroys the
> system by removeing 70+ other packages including ours.  Thats not an
> acceptable solution.
>
> FWIW, I have tried mightily, to lengthen the intervals from 10 minutes on
> this stretch install running TDE. But something resets it to 10 minutes
> before the 10 minutes is up. So xset is neutered and worthless. Frankly,
> linux is as bad as winderz in determining what you can and cannot do. If
> there was an alternative that put the machines control back in the uses
> hands, I'd jump on it like stink on a skunk.

your issue is with xfce. xset is talking to the xserver configuring its
timeout. then something in xfce knows what xfce thinks thew setting should be
in xfce config files and modifies this after you - last guy in wins. this has
nothing to do with linux nor even the xserver. it's tod with your desktop
environment of choice. use another that allows settings to disable this (or
find out how to do this in xfce if it can do it). you keep looking elsewhere
for a solution and blaming other things.