Feature request, but must be universallly accepted by ALL blanker authors

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Oct 2 22:23:30 UTC 2020

On Friday 02 October 2020 15:54:30 Dan Arena wrote:

> Good afternoon Gene,
>
> I am not sure about xfce, I suspect they do have settings in their GUI
> settings manager to adjust what you want, but seeing as this is the
> xorg mailing list I will tell you how I do it when running just X with
> a simple window manager. This is probably what you want. I put these
> lines into my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file on an appliance-like system for
> non-linux users. The first two settings DontVTSwitch and DontZap
> aren't actually related to "screen blanking", they prevent you from
> using ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace. You can delete them if you
> want.
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>     Option "DontVTSwitch" "on"
>     Option "DontZap"  "on"
>     Option "BlankTime" "0"
>     Option "StandbyTime" "0"
>     Option "SuspendTime" "0"
>     Option "OffTime" "0"
> EndSection
>

> Anyways, thanks for the entertaining email.

I didn't really intend for it to be entertaining. My machines are limited
to a couple horsepower, but there are folks on that mailing list with
50+ horsepower spindle motors, so I was serious in my use of maimed or
killed.

The above I assume is best tested after a reboot? But I don't see an
xorg.conf file in the /etc/X11 directory. Debian 10, I have this:
gene at lathe:/etc/X11$ ls -l
total 76
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Sep 29 15:06 app-defaults
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    18 Sep  7 06:40 default-display-manager
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root  4096 Sep 29 15:06 fonts
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17394 Nov 23  2016 rgb.txt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Sep 29 15:06 xinit
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Feb 11  2019 xkb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   709 Nov 23  2016 Xreset
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Sep 29 15:06 Xreset.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Sep 29 15:06 Xresources
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  3517 Nov 23  2016 Xsession
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Sep 29 16:07 Xsession.d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   265 Nov 23  2016 Xsession.options
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Sep 29 15:06 xsm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    13 Dec  5  2016 XvMCConfig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   630 Sep  7 06:40 Xwrapper.config

> Happy Friday!

Day of the week is only important if its sunday as I'm a DM-II, and I
shoot myself with bidureon on Sundays, and Wednesdays are trash
collection pickups about dawn on Thursdays. Being retired for 17+ years,
the rest of the week is a blur. Somewhat explainable by the fact I'll be
86 yo by the time the next week gets started good. :)  And I don't see a
good candidate in the list above.

I wonder what would happen if I just create that file and reboot?,
done. /var/log/Xorg.0.log exists, and it must have been read as all that
stuff is 0 in the Xorg.0.log. htop says lightdm-greeter is running for
the initial login. zero X showing in htop.  Go up the hill and see since
the monitor is in fact turned off till I turn it on. Which I did. Didn't
bither it a bot. 11 minutes later I'm looking at a color cycling screen,
and when I move the mouse, I'm looking at the lightdm-greeter login
requester.

Next?  Or was that our best shot?

Thanks Dan A.