ANN: xterm-362

Chris Sorenson csoren at isd.net
Fri Nov 13 00:52:46 UTC 2020

On 11/12/2020 06:35 PM, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 05:05:54PM -0600, Chris Sorenson wrote:
> > A trivial patch to escape three apostrophes in configure.in that break
> > syntax highlighting in some editors (feel free to ignore!):
>
> Some work may be needed on the editors.  The first two chunks cause
> the messages to be changed, adding an unnecessary backslash:
>
> 	./configure --help
>   --enable-load-vt-fonts  enable load-vt-fonts() action
>   --enable-logging        enable logging
>   --enable-logfile-exec   enable exec\'d logfile filter
>   --disable-maximize      disable actions for
> iconify/deiconify/maximize/restore
>   --disable-num-lock      disable NumLock keypad support
>
> and
>
> 	./configure
>
> checking if you want direct-color support... yes
> checking if you want blinking cursor... yes
> checking if you want to ignore Linux\'s broken palette-strings... yes
> checking if you want to allow broken string-terminators... yes
> checking if you want to compile-in icon data... yes
>
> The unaltered script displays properly in vi-like-emacs...

My apologies, I only checked that configure ran to completion and didn't
notice the escapes were leaking through. I should have known better,
escaping apostrophes is something I've been doing for years in Perl, I
should have known better than to think it would work the same way in the
shell.

Definitely ignore the patch!

Thanks for all the work you (and many others of course) do on X!