no screens found(EE) - Cannot use AMD R5 M330 as output to monitor

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu May 14 16:47:41 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 12:37 PM Sreyan Chakravarty <sreyan32 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am on a laptop that has a AMD Radeon R5 M330 card. I want to use this
> as the main source of display for all display operations on my monitor.
> For that I have configured this .conf file:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>      Identifier "layout"
>      Screen 0 "ati"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>      Identifier "ati"
>      Driver "ati"
>      BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>      Identifier "ati"
>      Device "ati"
> EndSection
>

> I have the ATI driver so that's what I have given in my config:
>
> xorg-x11-drv-ati-0:19.0.1-5.fc32.x86_64
>

> 01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sun
> XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330 / M430 / Radeon 520 Mobile]
> (rev 83)
>
> The card is on the 01 PCI bus and again that is what I have configured.
>

> The above config does not work. X fails to start with the following error:
>
> [   347.044] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
> [   347.044] (EE)
> Fatal server error:
> [   347.044] (EE) no screens found(EE)
> [   347.044] (EE)
> Please consult the Fedora Project support
>       at http://wiki.x.org
>   for help.
> [   347.044] (EE) Please also check the log file at
> "/home/sreyan/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.2.log" for additional information.
> [   347.044] (EE)
>

> The full log file can be found here(~/.config/local/share/xorg/Xorg.2.log):
>
> https://pastebin.com/raw/eD27NTdG
>

> What am I doing wrong ? What can I do this to get it working ?
>
> What is wrong in my conf file ?

The dGPU on your system has no display hardware.  The displays are
only attached to the integrated GPU.  If you want to use the dGPU for
accelerated rendering you will need to use the DRI_PRIME stuff.  E.g.,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

For example,
glxinfo | grep renderer
vs.
DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep renderer

Setting DRI_PRIME will select which GPU is used for OpenGL operations.
Modern desktop environments also often have a way to select which GPU
the applications run on.

Alex