X server does not have an option to specify which address to listen on for TCP connections

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon May 11 18:03:18 UTC 2020

On Mon, 11 May 2020 14:38:48 +0000 ornx <ornx at protonmail.com> said:

> [...]

This has not been true for a long time. X has become highly local. This has
been covered in many blogs, conference presentations etc. over the years. You
are quoting a design ethos from the 80's and maybe 90's that has long since
died since then. :)

> my use case is that i need X to use TCP so that i can intercept its traffic
> with wireshark for debugging purposes, but i only need this server accessible

use xscope instead probably. It understands x protocol... :)