X11 server that supports OpenGL 1.5 or higher

Nathan Kidd nathan-ml at spicycrypto.ca
Fri Jun 5 16:13:14 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-04 8:10 p.m., Joe Hays wrote:
> I've started looking in to using VirtualGL. I got it working but am
> finding almost similar performance as the software rendering when using
> vanilla X11 Forwarding. Since this is my first rodeo with VirtualGL I'm
> sure that there is some setting that I have not configured properly...
> Or, it could simply be throttled by my work's VPN connection.

Based on your mention of Xming and Cygwin, sounds like you're runing
your X server on local desktop with app remote over the VPN.  In this
case the performance bottleneck is almost certainly sending uncompressed
rasterized images over the VPN; it won't matter who is doing the OpenGL
rendering.  For decent performance in that case you'll need to run the X
server on the app host side and use a compressing remote access protocol
from your desktop to remote X server.

-Nathan