X11 server that supports OpenGL 1.5 or higher

Nathan Kidd nathan-ml at spicycrypto.ca
Tue Jun 2 17:10:50 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-23 12:28 p.m., Joe Hays wrote:
> I cannot find an X11 server for Windows that supports OpenGL 1.5 or
> greater. Xming doesn't, VcXsrv doesn't, Cygwin doesn't, Xmanage doesn't...
>
> Obviously a free solution is preferred but I'll consider commercial if
> it's the only option...
>
> Anyone know of a solution?

Are you sure you don't want VirtualGL instead?

There is no official GLX protocol for OpenGL 1.5+. NVIDIA implemented
unofficial protocol with their AllowUnofficialGLXProtocol /
__GL_ALLOW_UNOFFICIAL_PROTOCOL settings.  I think it allows up to the
OpenGL 2.x range but I haven't looked in detail.

There was a company out of the UK that supported this protocol in their
server, IIRC, but I forget their name.

Mostly people don't care about that support because by the time you're
using those features your app likely cannot stand the performance hit
from indirect rendering, so a form of server-side rendering is used
instead.  See VirtualGL.

HTH,

-Nathan