Suggestion for Xorg / about middle-mouse click pasting

Sam Varshavchik sam.varshavchik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 23:16:04 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 3:06 PM Elie Goldman Smith
<elie.goldman.smith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Countless people on forums say that middle-mouse pasting is an X11 feature.

"X11" is not the same thing as an "X server".

> This document seems to confirm that it's an X11 feature:
> https://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html

Yes, it does. This document confirms that middle mouse button click
events are X11 features.

Pay attention to this part:

# So how do I implement this?
#
# middle button paste, if implemented  | Retrieve and insert PRIMARY selection.

Pay attention to the "if implemented" part. If not implemented, this
does nothing.

An X client chooses to implement whatever events it wants. If it
chooses to implement the middle button as a paste button, it then
proceeds to retrieve and insert the PRIMARY selection from the server.
If it chooses not to do so, nothing happens. The X server has
absolutely nothing to do, whatsoever. The X server's only
responsibility is to forward mouse button events to the client, to do
whatever it wants with it. If the client chooses to implement the
middle button as a paste operation,  that's the client's choice. Not
the server's.

Feel free to read

https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xproto/x11protocol.html

at your leisure, for all the details.