.XCompose convert a single character

Ajith R ajithramayyan at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jul 23 17:36:15 UTC 2020

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

> I see that you have a lot of non-breaking spaces (0xC2 0xA0 in UTF8,
> Unicode point A0)
> e.g. betwen `include "%L"' and EOL and between <...> and :
> It could be the reason for parser failure.
>
> Haven't tried this yet, also this could be not the case
> if that appeared only when copying .XCompose text to e-mail message.

I had checked for non-breaking spaces as per advice from Debian usergroup. It is somehow appended by the emails. It is not there in any files.

> Also, try setting environment GTK_IM_MODULE to xim
>
> GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
> export GTK_IM_MODULE
>
> somewhere in ~/.Xsession or so, or at least in a shell before
> launching test app.

First, I executed the commands from Konsole and then ran Kate from the same Konsole. 'W' was transformed to 'a', not to 'a long substitution' as was expected. Then I type W in the Konsole window and the same thing happened. Then I ran firefox-esr from the Konsole. Here the magic happened! W got substituted with 'a long substituion'.
Then I wrote the commands to .Xsession file and tried in firefox launched from the program menu. Nothing happened - W remained as W. I rebooted and launched firefox - nothing happened. In repeated the commands from Konsole and launched firefox from the Konsole and W was substituted with 'a long substitution'. Again, Konsole and Kate replace W with just 'a'. Then I added one more line to my XCompose file to geminate U0D19. That too works in firefox launched from the Konsole in which the GTK_IM_MODULE is set, but not otherwise or in other applications.

All this happened with my fresh installation of 32 bit Debian. There was no change in the 64bit Debian I am running. It may be that it is broken and needs a fresh installation. Anyway, even with 32 bit Debian, it is not working in all programs and it is not working from .Xsession file.

> The default GTK im module has some strange shortcomings
> related to Compose sequences.

setting GTK im module to xim does make it work in firefox, but not in other programs. So, apparently something else is also partly reponsible.

> > 3) If my specification of the .XCompose file is okay, how do I find out what is wrong (and correct it)?
>
> Probably it is, apart from spacing.

Will you please elaborate? Should I use tab before and after the colon?

> However, the bundled XCompose used hex unicode representation
> for trigger strings (parts of specification before ":"), e.g. <U0D19> --
> so it could be safer to use them.

I did not understand this. Which is better - writing <W> or <U0057> ? I tried both and both are working.

> 4) Does the xkbmap system directly permit output of a string when a single key is pressed (without the help of .XCompose)?

My current .XCompose and .XSession files are attached.

Thanks a lot for your time and guidance,
ajith