XCompose: How to map a combination composed by a "basic" character & a character defined in a private use area?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 8 21:18:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 07:55:41PM +0200, Pierre-Luc Angles wrote:
> Dear xorgers,
>
> I have already mapped without problem characters defined in a private
> use area in my ~/.XCompose file like this:
>
> <dead_psili> <dead_grave> <Greek_UPSILON>                  	: ""	Ue1ad
>
> But now I have problems by mapping a non-spacing mark (or diacritic)
> combined with a basic character like the Greek iota. I have tried to map
> it like this without success:
>
> <dead_psili> <dead_diaeresis> <Greek_iota>
>       : "ι"
>
> Could anyone please tell me how it is possible to solve?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Pierre-Luc

Hi, Pierre-Luc -

Generating a string rather than a single character does not work
everywhere.  See, for example, the comments at
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/511450/xcompose-multiple-characters-%C2%AF-%E3%83%84-%C2%AF

A quick search around suggests that the answer will very much depend
on how your system is configured (input methods), based on the
comments in that link.

Also (not that it matters), your examples obviously only work
in the font you are using.

ĸen
--
       He died at the console, of hunger and thirst.
       Next day he was buried, face-down, nine-edge first.