xf86-video-dummy compared to xf86-video-dummy-with-vt?

John T Davis johntdavis at johntdavis.info
Tue Jul 7 04:12:52 UTC 2020

Hello,

How does this version of the driver differ from the xf86-video-dummy (that is, without the virtual terminal)? What exactly is different for the end user?

I use the xf86-video-dummy as part of the headless operation configuration on my Raspberry Pi, which I access over SSH. As it’s set up now, I access a PTY console over SSH, and do not have access to the TTY consoles that I would have if I were at the machine with a monitor and keyboard attached.

Would switching to the with-vt driver give me access to the TTY consoles over SSH? This is a feature I would really enjoy, as it would let me avoid opening multiple SSH connections and make something like tmux much less immediately necessary, and googling to figure out if it was possible is what led me to the dummy-with-vt driver to begin with.

Thank you for your help.

-- -- --
John T Davis
johntdavis at johntdavis.info