VESA Driver does not see 1920x1200_60.00 of HP LP2465 on RV370 Radeon

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Jan 20 13:39:51 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-20 6:37 a.m., Danie Wessels wrote:
> On 17/01/2020 13:16, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>> On 2020-01-16 10:49 p.m., Danie Wessels wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have just upgraded Centos 7 to 8 on this same hardware and previous
>>> gnome installation was fine with 1920x1200 resolution on the HP LP2465
>>> (24" ) monitor. (BTW: Upgrade did not go smooth due to insufficient
>>> space on root partition).
>>>
>>> The problem is that the maximum resolution available for selection is
>>> now only 1280x1024. Not sure if fglrx driver should now be used instead
>>> of VESA. I don't know the next step to get the auto detect to correct
>>> this.
>>
>> The next step is to check dmesg for why the radeon kernel driver didn't
>> initialize HW acceleration.
>>

> Thank you for your response.
>
> I had look but, don't see anything. See attached file a.

There's no trace of the radeon kernel driver even getting loaded. Does
running

 sudo modprobe radeon

manually work? If yes, maybe it's blacklisted e.g. in a file under
/etc/modprobe.d/. If no, provide the output from modprobe and from dmesg
after trying it.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               https://redhat.com