Running X with 2 separate displays on Debian 10 (Buster)

Thomas Fazekas thomas.fazekas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 08:19:37 UTC 2020

Many thanks for the feedback, unfortunately so far no luck.

I've modified the proposed configuration as follows :
Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Monitor-Laptop"
         Option          "AutoServerLayout" "on"
         Option          "Rotate" "normal"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Monitor-HP2311x"
         Option          "AutoServerLayout" "on"
         Option          "Rotate" "normal"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Intel0"
         Driver          "intel"
         BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
         Screen          0
         Option          "AccelMethod"  "sna"
         Option          "Monitor-Laptop" "eDP-1"
         Option          "ZaphodHeads" "0:eDP-1"
         Option          "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Intel1"
         Driver          "intel"
         BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
         Screen          1
         Option          "AccelMethod"  "sna"
         Option          "Monitor-HP2311x" "DP-2-3"
         Option          "ZaphodHeads" "1:DP-2-3"
         Option          "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier      "SCREEN0"
         Option          "AutoServerLayout" "on"
         Device          "Intel0"
         Monitor         "Monitor-Laptop"
         SubSection      "Display"
                 Modes   "1920x1080"
                 Depth   24
         EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier      "SCREEN1"
         Option          "AutoServerLayout" "on"
         Device          "Intel1"
         Monitor         "Monitor-HP2311x"
         SubSection      "Display"
                 Modes   "1920x1080"
                 Depth   24
         EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier      "LAYOUT"
         Option          "AutoServerLayout" "on"
         Screen          0 "SCREEN0"
         Screen          1 "SCREEN1" RightOf "SCREEN0"
EndSection

When I start X, it seems to start (it throws no error) but both my screens
stay in "text" mode.
The PCI setting at least is good, the setting in the ZaphodHeads option I'm
not certain of.

In case it might offer additional clues I've attached the xorg logs from a
successful start (where all the settings are detected
but I get a large uninterrupted display) "auto.Xorg.0.log", and the logs of
my failed start "manual.Xorg.0.log" (with the above
listed settings).

I'm not sure whether it makes any difference but my hardware setup is as
follows : I have a Thinkpad T580 connected through
a USB-C connector to a lenovo docking station to which an external screen
is attached (HP) via VGA cable.

Is is possible that my failure of getting this config off the ground is due
to my windows manager ? (cinnamon).
Ultimately what I want to achieve is to have to separate displays each with
its own (but the same type) of windows manager and
more importantly with it's own workspace switcher (so I can switch
workspaces independently)

Any support is welcome.