X11 disregards numpad options set by setxkbmap

Sreyan Chakravarty sreyan32 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 13:49:42 UTC 2020

I am having a hard time in i3 setting the numpad options to microsoft.

So I am running these commands:

> setxkbmap -option

This is to delete the options set.

Then I am running:

> setxkbmap -option numpad:microsoft

This actually runs successfully since the output of

> setxkbmap -print -verbose 10

is:

Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev...
Trying to load rules file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev...
Success.
Applied rules from evdev:
rules:      evdev
model:      pc105
layout:     us
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete+numpad(microsoft)
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+us+inet(evdev)
geometry:   pc(pc105)
xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
xkb_types     { include "complete+numpad(microsoft)" };
xkb_compat    { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+inet(evdev)" };
xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)" };
};

Yet when I Press Shift+KP_1 (NumLock ON) I get KP_1 and not KP_End.

The changes seem to have no effect whatsoever.

--
Regards,
Sreyan Chakravarty