Lost sliding windows w/ DVI Syncmaster monitor

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 1 06:09:17 UTC 2020

For years, in xorg.conf I've enjoyed declaring a larger than comfortable maximum resolution at the end of the modes, then one more comfortable for my old eyes for use.  Then I could slide the visible window around the larger virtual window to bring diferent parts into view.  I recently upgraded to a DVI Syncmaster monitor and this facility no longer works.  The mouse pointer will disappear off the right & bottom edges, but the viewable area is firmly fixed in the upper left corner of the virtual window.  This seems to come from the monitor--I tried it also with a Dell monitor, and had the same behavior.  Is there come configuration option that will bring it back for me?

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm