X Window System map review

IL Ka kazakevichilya at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 14:04:01 UTC 2019

Hello.

1. Window manager is a separate client. Word processor and Web browser do
not use it directly. They talk to XOrg an XOrg consults Window manager (if
any) asking it to draw window. Technically, you can run client even without
of Window manager.

2. Drivers may be in Kernel or in Xorg itself. With modern installations
you almost always have drivers inside of kernel, but Xorg can work with
kernels that know nothing about your video (except it is VGA
compatibility).

3. There is also session manager (
https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libSM/xsmp.html), but it is
fully optional