xf86-video-dummy driver

Storm Dragon storm_dragon at linux-a11y.org
Mon Sep 9 23:08:43 UTC 2019

Howdy,

I am blind and use a screen reader to access the computer. I do not have a screen, and if I try to launch X without one it gripes about no screens attached and fails. So, I installed the dummy driver.

The weird thing is, whatever I type in X appears in my consoles, and whatever I type in my consoles appears in X. This causes all kinds of interesting problems including running multiple copies of the package manager, entering a message several times in irc, etc.

Here is my dummy driver configuration:

 Section "Device"
	      Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
	           Driver      "dummy"
		    EndSection

		     Section "Monitor"
     Identifier  "Configured Monitor"
          HorizSync 31.5-48.5
	       VertRefresh 50-70
	        EndSection

		 Section "Screen"
			      Identifier  "Default Screen"
			           Monitor     "Configured Monitor"
				        Device      "Configured Video Device"
					     DefaultDepth 24
					          SubSection "Display"
							       Depth 24
							            Modes "1024x800"
								         EndSubSection
									  EndSection

So, I was wondering, have I done something wrong in the configuration, or is there some weird bug in the driver?

Thanks for any help,
Storm