[fdo] xorg-xf86-input-keyboard license

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Oct 27 17:15:21 UTC 2019

On 10/27/19 10:07 AM, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> On Sun, October 27, 2019 9:37 am, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> Why do you care about the server license if you're writing an application
>> (i.e. a client)?
>
> Not the OP, but I will tell you why it is important.

You explained the GPL, which I well understand, but not why someone
working on client software cares about the license of something on
the server side.  GPL does not require clients to follow the licensing
conditions of servers they connect to.

> Obviously a long answer to the GPL point of licensing. Please consider the
> long term and how it will effect people that use opensource, and especially
> Xorg drivers.

Xorg has a well established license policy, and I didn't invite a debate
on it.  Debates about Microsoft & Linux licensing are off-topic here.

	-Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
	 Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc