[fdo] xorg-xf86-input-keyboard license

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Oct 27 16:37:49 UTC 2019

[I've cc'ed the xorg mailing list, where this is a much more on-topic question
  than the freedesktop general mailing list.]

On 10/27/19 6:12 AM, 布施 博明 wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am developing X application now
> I have one question about xorg-xf86-input-keyboard license

Why do you care about the server license if you're writing an application (i.e.
a client)?

> I checked following file
>
> https://github.com/freedesktop/xorg-xf86-input-keyboard/blob/master/COPYING
>
> This file show MIT licene
>
> And I found following file
>
> https://github.com/freedesktop/xorg-xf86-input-keyboard/blob/master/src/lnx_kbd.c
>

>    * Portions based on kbdrate.c from util-linux 2.9t, which is
>   * Copyright 1992 Rickard E. Faith.  Distributed under the GPL.
>   * This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

We should probably delete lnx_kbd.c, both to give license clarity and to stop
people from thinking it's a useful driver to have on Linux systems any more.

If you're building the X server for a Linux box you want either the libinput
or evdev drivers instead of keyboard.  If you're building for something without
a Linux kernel, then you won't be building the lnx_kbd.c file any way.

	-Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
	 Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc